Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Never Judge a Book by its Cover...A Sad Story :(

My mom only had one eye. I hated her, she was such an embarrassment. She cooked for students and teachers to support our family. There was this one day in elementary school, when my mom came to say hello to me. I was so embarrassed. How could she do this to me? I ignored her, threw a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school my classmates sad "EEEE, your mom only has one eye!" I wanted to bury myself, I also wanted my mom to just disappear.

So I confronted her that day and said, "If you're only going to make me a laughing stock, why don' you just die?!?"

My mom did not respond...

I didn't even stop to think about what I had said, cause I was full of anger. I was oblivious to her feelings. I wanted out of that house, and nothing to do with her. So I studied real hard and got a chance to go study in Singapore. Then I got married, bought my own house and had my own children. I was happy with my life, the kids and all my comforts.

Then one day, my mother came to visit me. She hadn't seen me in years and hadn't even met her grandchildren. When she stood at the door, my children laughed at her, and I yelled at her for coming uninvited. I screamed at her. "How dare you come to MY house and scare my children! Get out of here now!!"

To this, my mother responded quietly "Oh! I'm sorry, I must have come to the wrong house." And with that she disappeared, out of sight.

One day a letter regarding a school reunion arrived in the mail. So I lied to my wife, claiming I was going on some sort of business trip. After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity, only to find out that my mother had died.

I did not shed a single tear.

They handed me a letter that she had wanted me to have"

My dearest son,
I think of you all the time. I'm sorry that I came to Singapore and scared your children. I was so glad when I heard you were attending the reunion. But I probably won't make it out of bed to come see you. I'm sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were growing up. You see, when you were very little, you got into an accident and lost one of your eyes. As a mother, I couldn't stand watching you having to grow up with one eye. So I gave you mine. I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my place, with that eye. With my love to you, your mother.


A parent's love for their child extends to a point where they are willing to give up their whole life for their kin. This mother sacrificed her sense of sight to allow her child to grow up like all others. She gave up her normal life, so that her son could lead one. She received the comments, laughter and general distaste; so that her son could continue without those things. She died hated by a son that didn't know the truth. Just a reminder that parent's aren't all that bad, they only want the best for you. This story only served to remind us that not everything in this world is as it appears. Nevertheless, we walk around treating appearances as the only means of understanding a person. Never underestimate what is behind a face; the amount this mother sacrificed for her son is but one example of learning to never judge a book by its cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How could such a thing have happened, what a rude child! Although, the mother maybe should have told him, but I dunno if she had the chance with all of his dstaste towards her. Oh my GOD! What a courageous thing to do. At least we know she's in heaven.