Sunday, April 16, 2006

An Illusive Reality

When I look around, I see vivid colors, beautiful landscapes and a world undiscovered.  I feel various different textures and several different surfaces.  I hear the natural sounds of many animals, and the erratic, but persistent, tap of a keyboard.  I smell the many things that are floating in small little droplets around my room, and I taste the many different types of foods that have been created by this very planet.  However, none of it matters.  Cause, what I see, is not what other's see.  Reality is an illusion.  What I am looking at, hearing and smelling are very different than what you are looking at, hearing or smelling.  This different is not a natural result, it came from social conditioning as in the example conversation below:

Bob: "Hey honey! How you doing?"
Marie: "I'm good, just a little tired from last nights activities."
Bob: "Haha yeah, 4 hours in a bedroom with me can do that to a person."
Marie: "Actually, it wasn't you that got me tired, it was John, man he knows how to make you lose all your energy."

Although the above conversation is purposefully ambiguous, it gives insight into language, and the effects it may have on ones perception on the world.  John is made to look like a man who has pleased Bob's wife, but actually, John is their puppy, and the couple was just playing with them in their room for hours and hours.   The misinterpretation of this conversation is a clear example of social conditioning and in the fact that what we see, hear, feel, touch and smell, are not real things; but are controlled by the filters and conditions that we are confined by. Albert Einstein once said, "Reality is merely an illusion, although a persistent one."


Echolocation, UV Light, Night Vision and Triangulated Hearing are just some examples of what we lack in perceiving this world.  Animals have much finer, much more keen senses than we do, and perceive it in a much more different way.  Which only serves to show that reality is no reality, in fact, reality is as illusive as the illusions we hope to eradicate in this life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW.. I have never thought of anything like that before; what I see may not be real. Amazing! Thank you.